Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Just Seen Artificial Intelligence

  1. #1
    Inactive Member marti-c's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 19th, 2000
    Posts
    298
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well what do you lot think of Spielbergs latest offering?

    Does this movie try to be everything to everybody and lose it somewhat or will it go down as a classic that will be played every year at christmas in between The Wizard of OZ and E.T. ?

    However i do challenge anyone not to have a large lump in their throat at the tear-jerking ending!

    Blade runner meets pinnochio anyone !!!!!!!

    marti

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member deanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2000
    Posts
    1,082
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I saw it a couple of weeks ago. Ive got to be honest. I didnt like it. I dont know if I was expecting to much, but buy the end of the movie I just felt let down. There are going to be people who say its a classic because its a Kubric and Speilburg movie. I just didnt like anyone in this movie. Sorry I lied. I liked Teddy. Everyone else in the movie, mechs and humans were to cold. I didnt care for them one bit.

    Bottom line is in my opinion, is that speilburg is not a good writer.

    P.S What the hell were those things at the end.

    Despin out.

    ------------------
    "Ive got bad feeling about this."

  3. #3
    Inactive Member ozymandiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 21st, 2001
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have not seen it, but on a basic level this film is doomed to failure. Kubrick strived in his films to show conflict between people- reflecting a larger conflict in society, a conflict that is irreconcilable. That is the key element of what makes his films so brilliant, his implicit subversion of the dominant ideology that persists in trying to present he world as a unified entity which problems can be resolved in the 90mins of a film. Speilberg on the other hand is an entertainer, a great one, but an entertainer all the same, using spectacle and emotive themes/images to sell movies to the widest audience possible. From what I have read "A.I" was Kubrick?s labour of love, having sat on the project for 20years, and it was going to be a metaphorical debate on societies acceptance of those whom are different, alienation and the dichotomous relationship between man and technology. And not a film that tugs on ones heart strings with tacky sentiment and cheap emotional pillaging.
    In saying that I?m gonna book my tickets a.s.a.p, and go and get my dose of eye-candy and comfort my girlfriend when she cries at the end etc.


    ------------------

  4. #4
    Inactive Member marti-c's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 19th, 2000
    Posts
    298
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If anyone out there would like to see the movie and has a cable connection then goto www.musiccity.com and download morpheus peer to peer software and you can download it from me at a pre-determined time.

    marti

    ------------------

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Thousanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I really liked A.I. even though it was lacking in several key elements. One thing I liked was the whole look of the film.(the shot of New York under water, with the Staute of Liberty's torch sticking up it nice) The Flesh Fair and Rouge City is Kubrick watered down. It was kind of distracing how David was thought of as a real boy when, hell, he was only a bunch of wires.
    The whole visual look was awesome, like the almost Close Encounter shot as David walks through the door, the first time you see him. Or the androids (yes they are androids, not aliens) at the end are cool.
    All in all its nice but Spielberg and Kubrick were not a match made in heaven.

    ------------------
    Thousanth
    THOUSANTH ENTERTAINMENT
    AND PRODUCTIONS.
    "A good director elevates his film above all limitations placed on it...above its genre, script, acting and production. A good director IS the film."

  6. #6
    Inactive Member edenrepublik's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2000
    Posts
    53
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was neutral on it, up 'till 20 minutes before it ended. Then it just sucked. The way he crammed the pinnochio parallel down our throats 'till it became a plot element and the extra 20 minutes of filler material/ending that he tacked on and the "For Stanley Kubrik" within the last 5 seconds of the credits that no one stuck around to see because they needed out. I only saw it'cause I work at the theater and I was on clean up one day.

    ------------------

  7. #7
    Inactive Member filmmaker14's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i loved it. but the ending does seem a bit tacked on, but when you think about it, how could you end a story like this to satisfy everyone?

    ------------------

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Thousanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When I first went to see it (On opening weekend) 2/3 of the audience stayed for every credit. And some even clapped.
    Its a lost art

    ------------------
    Thousanth
    THOUSANTH ENTERTAINMENT
    AND PRODUCTIONS.
    "A good director elevates his film above all limitations placed on it...above its genre, script, acting and production. A good director IS the film."

  9. #9
    Inactive Member filmmaker14's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i think thats where kubrick would have ended it, but i would have been disappointed.

    ------------------

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Thousanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Despin:
    The things at the end were androids. It was in some press statement or somthing I read about A.I.

    ------------------
    Thousanth
    THOUSANTH ENTERTAINMENT
    AND PRODUCTIONS.
    "A good director elevates his film above all limitations placed on it...above its genre, script, acting and production. A good director IS the film."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •